Weather

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
chadburnk

Weather

Post by chadburnk » 06 Jun 2017, 13:01

Hi All,

Planning to compete in my 2nd BT 3 Peaks event of which I cannot wait. Question I have is around the weather. What has the weather got to be like before the even is cancelled or abandoned.

Rain doesnt bother me but wind is a little bit more of a concern.

Look forward to seeing you all on the day. ;)

karl

mac.hawk

Re: Weather

Post by mac.hawk » 06 Jun 2017, 19:16

As I understand it the BT 3 Peaks Challenge is taking place this coming Saturday, 10th June 2017. Under what circumstances any 'organised walk' gets cancelled or abandoned is purely at the discretion of the organisers but usually things like high winds, thunderstorms, poor visibility etc are the main considerations not just for the participants but also for the emergency rescue teams.

The route however, is open 24/7 365 days of the year unless exceptional circumstances arise e.g. such as an outbreak of foot and mouth disease when DEFRA will close sections of, or all of, the route. There's a misconception that on an organised walk if it is cancelled or abandoned that you can't carry on. Under such circumstances whatever support the organised parties were providing would, in all probability, be withdrawn but you could still carry on under your own steam.

This Saturdays weather is currently looking OK (for the purpose of attempting The Challenge) although you will need your waterproofs and it might be a bit blowy on the summits.