Starting Point

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
The Moth

Starting Point

Post by The Moth » 24 Jun 2014, 14:43

Hello Everyone - Am new to the board although not the 3 peaks themselves.

Just completed the circuit for the 14th time on Sunday 22nd June. The previous 13 times I went from Horton on the usual circuit. But this time I started from Ribblehead and climbed Whernside first. I have to say that this was great - you get Whernside and Ingleborough early on although the climb and descent from Penyghent certainly aren't easy!

Also you miss all the crowds, which was great for a lone walker! It was weird descending into Horton knowing I hadn't finished but I'd recommend this route to anyone who fancies something a little bit different. In addition to this I met a few people doing the tradtional route in reverse from Horton - ie Ingleborough first. More than ever so maybe this way is also becoming popular?

Great Forum full of interesting topics and advice.

Farcelt

Re: Starting Point

Post by Farcelt » 24 Jun 2014, 20:03

Hi, I can also recommend starting from Ribblehead for several reasons, plenty of parking for a start & usually less crowded, then as The Moth says 2 peaks are tackled in quick succession whilst still fresh. Another advantage is that it provides a number of escape options in case of bad weather, injury etc. If unfortunate enough to have to abort after Whernside it is a relatively short walk/hitch back to Ribblehead whilst if reaching Horton the train can be taken back to ones car (worth noting timetable just in case) It is even possible to do all 3 peaks and still drop down into Horton for the train after Penyghent should the longish though pretty much level walk back to Ribblehead be too much. Obviously we all set off hoping to complete the full circuit but unforeseen circumstances can often manifest themselves making having a get out plan in mind a sensible precaution.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 24 Jun 2014, 20:30

Well said - the train option is always handy to bear in mind, even after all 3 of them. Next year (or even later this year - who knows!) I think I'll stick with Ribblehead.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 24 Jun 2014, 22:40

The vast majority of people start from Horton taking Pen y Ghent first.

Why?

It's the 'traditional' starting point, has good parking, toilets, the PyG Cafe, mobile shop (not phones!!), pubs, camp site, B & B's and ........................... a shed load of other people attempting 'The Challenge' on any given March to October Sat, Sun, Bank Holiday & increasingly on a Friday too.

The Pen y Ghent Cafe in Horton has it's logging in service where you can log your start/finish times and become a member of their 'Three Peaks of Yorkshire Club' should you complete within the 12 hours if that ticks your box.

Starting from Horton gives a 'comfort zone' in that if you're unfamiliar with the area or the walk route you will usually be around numbers of other attemptees on the challenge who will invariably help you should you need advice - whether that be 'am I on route?', 'am I on time?', 'where can I get fluid?', 'why have I agreed to do this?' ............or whatever.

To the best of my knowledge ALL the fundraising events start from Horton and take the 'traditional' route.

To the best of my knowledge ALL the commercial paper guides detail the 'traditional' route starting from Horton.

Why start from anywhere else?

Well The Moth has ably described why, as I have also done for some time in the 'From Ribblehead' version of 'The Guide'.

It's been nearly 10 years since I did the 'traditional' route from Horton on a weekend - midweek or from Ribblehead is now the norm simply to avoid the hoards from Horton.

Taking the reverse of the 'traditional' route is indeed a fine option but on a weekend expect to meet the hoards of 'traditionalists' as you ascend/descend Whernside.

'The Guide' - as supplied by myself - gives you versions from Horton & Ribblehead anti-clockwise & from Horton clockwise (see 'June Edition of The Guide' on the posting on the Forum).

geoffdepper

Post by geoffdepper » 26 Mar 2015, 10:36

Going to do Y3P again this May with some friends who have never done the Y3P and am thinking of along the same. This time to start from Ribblehead. Can anyone help me with a couple of questions, re parking. Is it ok to park close to the pub? Is it best to park just by the road T junction? Thanks, Geoff

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 26 Mar 2015, 19:50

Hi Geoff, you can't generally park on the road immediately by the pub, the road's not wide enough to park on. However, a little way beyond the pub (100 yards or so), heading towards the Blea Moor/Gauber road T-junction and just after a cattle grid is a parking space on the right for about half a dozen cars (it's a guesstimate as I'm a non-driver). If that's full there's usually plenty of space immediately north of the T-junction.

Do let us know how your friends enjoyed/endured the experience.

geoffdepper

Post by geoffdepper » 27 Mar 2015, 11:01

Thanks for the info. It is strange how things are. I am walking with a group of friends, but also on the same day my son's partner is also going with a group from her work. All from down here in Eastbourne and the south. :lol:

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 18 Apr 2015, 21:07

Hi Geoff, went past the Station Inn + the Blea Moor/Gauber Road junction today at approx 3pm and there were cars parked all over the place, including a couple on the little bit of gravel opposite the pub and six (I estimated correct) in the small parking place near the cattle grid.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 21 Apr 2015, 13:46

It's always busy around there - get there as early as possible is the order of the day.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 10 Jun 2015, 13:34

Did it for the 15th time on 14/6/15 starting at Ribblehead which is my favoured option nowadays, although the weather wasn't great it's still the way to go for me.
Last edited by The Moth on 03 Jul 2015, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.