Ribblehead to Horton via W & I & 'The Guide'

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
mac.hawk

Ribblehead to Horton via W & I & 'The Guide'

Post by mac.hawk » 27 Feb 2016, 22:57

Walked Ribblehead to Horton today via W & I with the following to report ...............

Well nothing much on Whernside, there's a little more flagging on the descent to Bruntscar since my last visit in Oct 2015.

The ascent of Ingleborough has nothing new of note.

Near the summit plateau of Ingleborough the small 2ft high stone at Swine Tail currently has signage indicating the route to Chapel le Dale (regular readers will be aware that such signage has, in the past, been subject to vandalism) - will post a photo when I get chance.

As you descend Ingleborough towards Horton from the stile at Simon Breast Fell/Fell Beck Head the YDNPA have obviously been working to keep hikers on the main footpath (however bad it might be). In recent years the public footpath had eroded into a very stoney section and walkers had started to use the fell adjacent the RoW with the result that that had started to become badly eroded.

This work has entailed some improvement on the main RoW that now seems less 'stoney' and a 'redistribution' of earth/material to make the adjacent fell an unusable alternative plus there's flagging at couple of sections towards the derelict shooting hut.

The main observation today though is that from descending Ingleborough to Horton the RoW route, away from the few 'surfaced' sections, is very, very muddy.

'The Guide' will be updated in the next couple of days