How boggy is the bog?

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
three peaks

Re: How boggy is the bog?

Post by three peaks » 04 Mar 2011, 10:09

You might like to consider the route over Whitber Hill:
http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/index/ ... m?id=45984
Much of the route is a sustainable walking surface catering for the high numbers of visitors as they pass through the best wildlife habitat and scenery the Dales has to offer.

“But there is one exception – between Pen y ghent and Ribblehead through High Birkwith. For this section, most walkers use the route over Horton Moor and Black Dubb Moss, which is badly eroded, with topsoil washed away, causing significant damage to internationally important peat habitat.

“An alternative, though little used, route lies over Whitber Hill. It passes over drier ground and uses mainly existing paths but needs some development work.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 20 May 2011, 20:18

It's Todber Moss & (in particular) Black Dubb Moss that are the problems where the route can be 100ft+ wide in places. Crossing the stream at Black Bubb Moss is probably the most difficult bit in anything other than the driest of weather. I've posted a route on the Alternative Route Around the Bog that utilises the Ribble Way.

I think it's about time the National Park addressed this, before we had Access Land the route was technically a trespass as no ROW exists over this section of the moor, but with the Countryside Right of Way Act 2000 this area, to where it meets the Pennine Way, is open to all.

A footbridge over the beck (a couple of planks would suffice but there's probably some HASAW or Public Safety issues with that) and a bit of cladding underfoot in the boggy places (not sure if I'd want it 'paved' like sections elsewhere) would stop it deteriorating more and keep walkers to a defined route.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 18 Jun 2011, 23:20

Well I went over last Saturday (11/06/2011) and it was pretty much a doddle, the usual farce over Todber & Black Dub Moss but certainly nothing to fret over.

Went across today (18/06/2011) and in ten years+ of walking the area I've never seen it boggier, from leaving Pen-y-ghent Side to the reaching the Pennine Way was a case of mud, water, mud & water, bog, mud, bog, mud, bog etc (you get the picture). The whole route needs some sort of stabilisation as unless it does the 'route' will continue to grow in width and simply compound the problem.

What a difference a week makes!

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 02 Oct 2011, 19:15

Did the challenge again on 01 Oct 2011 and after a week of unusually dry and sunny weather the bog was still pretty awful with wide detours needed in 5 or 6 places.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 22 Apr 2012, 19:52

Went over today and it is truly awful, not only is the bog getting wider and wider the walkways (I aren't calling them footpaths!) are a mud bath too.

jollyrodgers1

Post by jollyrodgers1 » 24 Apr 2012, 16:38

Me and a mate did the route from Pen Y Ghent on Saturday. Whilst it does slow you down considerably, if you approach it as a bit of a challenge as we did, it can be quite entertaining really leaping about. You will get wet feet (I'm going to invest in some Sealskinz waterproof socks for when we do the full walk) but approach it with a positive mind and you'll get through it no problem - with a few running jumps!

bellyno1

Post by bellyno1 » 07 May 2012, 23:26

Just completed challenge on 2nd March after all the rain and its not 2 bad. didnt come across much more than boot deep and the parts that possibly were could comfortably be navigated without to much extra walking

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 07 May 2012, 23:43

Went across 22nd April and it was truly awful, thought last year I'd never seen it worse but on this occasion it was even worse than that , water and bog from Pen-y-Gent Side to Over Ground with wide detours needed virtually everywhere and sooooo many people going wider and wider.................

funkyrabbit

Post by funkyrabbit » 10 May 2012, 13:51

Going to do the three peaks on saturday and think I'll be using the alternative route via the Ribble Way by the sounds of it.

Still your best advice Mac?

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 10 May 2012, 19:06

Yes funkyrabbit, did the 'Alternative' last Friday and whilst it's currently quite mushy over Whitber Hill and down towards Sell Gill Holes and the Pennine & Ribble Ways it is, in my opinion, currently a better option than traversing the bog - Pennine or Ribble way to Overground? You'll be fine on either.