How long does it really take?

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
ruth23

How long does it really take?

Post by ruth23 » 14 Jun 2010, 16:30

I am planning to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, and wondered how long it actually takes?
I know the tatget is 12hours, but is this generally achievable?

three peaks

Re: How long does it really take?

Post by three peaks » 14 Jun 2010, 16:35

12 hours is usually plenty for most people, with 10-11 hours perhaps being typical. Often if 12 hours is not achieved it is because something went wrong, or a long lunch got it the way!

The fell runners do it in about 3 hours or so. Sensible people do it over a 2 or 3 day period.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 19 May 2011, 21:13

As long as you want! The Challenge is to complete it in 12 hours but as Alfred Wainwright so correctly said in his 1970 book 'Walks in Limestone Country' - ' Inevitably, and regretably, it has become the subject of competitive races, both on foot and wheel, and the breaking of records. With these attempts to accomplish the circuit in double quick time, stop-watch in hand, we are not concerned here. The intention of this chapter is to detail the walk for the benefit of those whose main object in walking is pleasure and who climbs the hills for their intrinsic merit, for those who are not preoccupied with tight timetables to study the landscape as they go along or turn aside to admire a shy saxifrage'. and whilst you may want to give The Challenge a 'go' at some point, enjoy each one first before embarking the the big devil. I know that doesn't answer the question but, well most able bodied people should manage it in 12 hours, I have a guide and rough 12 hour timescale that start at Ribblehead that I can forward if anyones interested.

paul.r

Post by paul.r » 26 May 2011, 12:28

Hi
I would be very interested in your rough guide and timescale if it is available.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 06 Jun 2011, 20:34

In response to Paul R, the guide is done but it is based on my 2010 trek. THE YDNP have lately been replacing the stiles en-route with gates, along with improvements along the route from Whernside to Bruntscar. I'm in the process of re-walking the entire route to update the guide to included these changes. I've completed the Ribblehead to Horton updates and intend to do Pen-y-ghent to Ribblehead over the weekend of 10/11th June (weather permitting) whereafter I will make the guide freely available. My main concern is to get the route from Pen-y-ghent Side to High Birkwith as accurate as possible.

Finally, weather permitting, I'm taking a party (of mixed ability) on the challenge the following weekend and will let you know how the actual times reflect with the guide.

paul.r

Post by paul.r » 07 Jun 2011, 07:49

Hi Mac,
Thanks for the reply I will wait on the results of your next trip with interest good luck.

virginia

Post by virginia » 07 Jun 2011, 16:12

I'd be interested in your guide aswell once you've completed the walk this weekend. Good Luck! The bog sounds scary - I've done three different walks in the lake district of varying difficulties - should I be worried? I'm looking to do this challenge next year with 3 friends.