is it drying up

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
jovaughan

is it drying up

Post by jovaughan » 25 Jul 2012, 20:10

We are walking the 3 peaks on 28th - heard it is still really boggy from Penyghent to Whernside, did anyone do it last weekend and how bad was it?

neil

Re: is it drying up

Post by neil » 26 Jul 2012, 00:16

hi, me and the Mrs walked it 24/07 for the 1st time - there are several parts after Pen y Ghent (either side of Hull Pot beck) that were very boggy but still passable with care. If you are not planning on breaking any records then proceed with caution and take walking poles to test the ground. Some ground looks firm and I went up half way to the knee - where as other looks like mud but you hardly sink an inch.

hope this helps :D

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 28 Jul 2012, 20:02

I've been across the routes from P Y G summit to High Birkwith today, yup all of the main ones, and the route across Todber & Black Dubb Moss still requires wide detours. The main route is pretty much OK but the Moss's are still incredibly moist - it's not just about the bog, you have to bear in mind just how (un)comfotarble you are going to be if your boots get saturated, particularly if you start from Horton.

The alternative routes utilizing the Pennine Way to Tarn Bar then summiting Whitber Hill and crossing Sell Gill Hill or Blackber Moss are also very, very wet.

The least wet route is my suggestion using the Pennine Way, Whitber Hill and dropping down to Sell Gill Holes to use the Pennine Way or Ribble Way.

The route is freely available from me by emailing me at the email address in the ' Latest Revision of the Guide' on the forum.
Last edited by mac.hawk on 15 Oct 2012, 19:55, edited 3 times in total.

jovaughan

Post by jovaughan » 29 Jul 2012, 15:23

thanks guys - 5 of us walked it yesterday - managed to get through the boggy bits without wet feet but the horizontal rain on Whernside left us wet through.
Had a good day though.

MichelleDOherty

Post by MichelleDOherty » 31 Jul 2012, 12:10

Hi,

Me and few people will be doign the three peaks on the 01st of September, can anyone recommend where I can get some maps from to practice or if anyone is going that i can tag along too? Also are digs allowed my doberman would love it?

Thanks Michelle 8-)

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 31 Jul 2012, 20:50

Hi Michelle, you can get maps at just about any local book shop, they may need to order them in for you or at any numbers of outlets if you order online. The Ordnance Survey OL2 map Yorkshire Dales South & West or the Harvey's Superwalker - Yorkshire Dales - The Three Peaks are the maps you need. You can also view the OS map online by visiting the link I've posted in the 'Fabulous On-Line Map' article in the Forum

Dogs are fine along the route but you will need to keep them on a lead in places, again this is covered in the Forum too.

You can get my comprehensive text guide to the walk by emailing me at the address featured in the 'Latest Revision of the Guide', again in the Forum.

Colkin

Post by Colkin » 08 Aug 2012, 15:45

Hi am doing the peaks on the 25 th August does anyone know if it is ok to walk in the time scale of he 12 hrs

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 08 Aug 2012, 20:52

It's always do-able in 12 hours or less but it all depends on your health, level of fitness, the weather, what your expectations are, your guide (in paper or in person) or ability to read the map, and if you are adequately prepared. On the 25th of August, if you're healthy, have some experience of hiking, take note of the weather forecast and take appropriate clothing, take plenty of fluid and you should be fine. If starting from Horton from between about 7am to 9am you'll probably be able to follow a constant stream of people doing the challenge (but do take a map and know how to read it). The latest revision of the guide has appropriate timescales for each section of the route (based on a 12 hour timescale) and a plethora of advice as well as a comprehensive text route guide.

Colkin

Post by Colkin » 08 Aug 2012, 22:23

Thank you for your info much appreciated :D

zoeukuk

Post by zoeukuk » 18 Aug 2012, 20:47

Hi,
myself and 9 others are also walking on the 25th looking forward to the challenge!! we are doing it in aid of cancer research you may see us wearing blue t shirts. Good Luck. hope the bog isnt too boggy:)