3 Peaks Challenge from Ingleton

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
bob87

3 Peaks Challenge from Ingleton

Post by bob87 » 23 Apr 2012, 20:43

Has anyone done the three peaks challenge starting and finishing in Ingleton?

I was wondering what the best route was and if it adds extra milage to the trip.

mac.hawk

Re: 3 Peaks Challenge from Ingleton

Post by mac.hawk » 26 Apr 2012, 20:37

A quick route plan on Memory Map using a route that starts at the YDNP car park in Ingleton, takes Oddies Lane to the camp site at Beezley's , turns left then rises Twisleton Scar End to Ewe's Top then simply follows the wall on the left across West Fell to Whernside summit. Thereafter the usual route (across the bog) to eventually reach Ingleborough summit then taking the bridleway off Ingleborough (Fell Lane) back to the car park comes in at 28.75 miles. I reckon that's at least 30+ miles of walking but you would miss one steep descent/ascent (Whernside).

I suppose the option of doing the reverse would depend on whether you prefer the steep ups or downs of Pen y Ghent & Ingleborough (I'd go for the ups personally)

I've certainly hiked up Whernside and Ingleborough from Ingleton and would suggest the route is a very do-able variant if you're using the car or staying over.

I've also considered starting at Clapham using the train as, certainly on a Saturday from the Leeds end, it's a very do-able option too.

bob87

Post by bob87 » 28 Apr 2012, 20:05

So either direction it adds about 4miles to the route? Do you think that adds an hour to the walk?

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 28 Apr 2012, 20:33

Yes I'd say it adds about an extra 4-ish miles to the usual route, it would probably take me an extra hour and a half as whilst you don't have the steep up or down of Whernside you do have to allow for fatigue in the extra 4+ miles at the end of 25+ mile hike. It all depends on your usual walking rate, a good time for me across the usual route, either solo or with someone of similar ability, is somewhere in the 8 to 9 hour region, however if you can do the usual route in 6-7 hours you're obviously motoring faster than old slowcoach here and an added hour would appear about right.

three peaks

Post by three peaks » 28 Apr 2012, 22:46

Walking the three peaks from Ingleton, I would personally ascend Ingleborough first. The main reason is that after you have done Whernside as the last peak, you then have downhill all the way back. The sun will be dropping in the west and, on a clear day, you will have views out towards the sea. After coming down off Twisleton Scar you can also then follow half of the waterfalls walk into the village - a really nice end to your walk.