Can I take my dog on the 3 peaks route

A forum for all other topics about the Yorkshire 3 Peaks area
Darrenj81

Can I take my dog on the 3 peaks route

Post by Darrenj81 » 02 Aug 2014, 13:15

Hi
I was wondering if I could take my dog on the 3 peaks route or is there parts where dogs aren't allowed. My dog will be on a lead at all times

three peaks

Re: Can I take my dog on the 3 peaks route

Post by three peaks » 03 Aug 2014, 08:16

The whole route is on public rights of way, so you can take a dog on a lead and plenty of people do.

mac.hawk

Re: Can I take my dog on the 3 peaks route

Post by mac.hawk » 04 Aug 2014, 20:51

I've been looking at the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 in relation to taking dogs on public Rights of Way and Access Land and it does make sleep inducing reading but..............

It would seem it is fine to take a dog on any Right of Way footpath/bridleway/route open to all traffic providing it sticks to the Rights of Way, is on a lead, at heel or under close control. If it leaves the Right of Way it may be trespassing and you, as the person in 'control' of the dog, are liable.

If you or the dog wander onto Access Land things change somewhat. You are not allowed to enter or remain on Access Land with a dog (or allow your dog to enter or remain on Access Land) between 1st March & 31st July unless the dog is on a short lead at all times.

You are additionally not allowed to enter or remain on Access Land with a dog (or allow your dog to enter or remain on Access Land) at any time if there is livestock in the field unless your dog is on a short lead at all times.

The Act has determined that a “short lead” means a lead of fixed length and of not more than two metres.

'Livestock' is identified as............... oh go and read the Act yourselves, but it includes sheep and cattle.

Given that sheep can be pretty much everywhere on the 3 Peaks route other than the brief road sections the Act would seem to imply that a dog would need to be on the RoW footpath/bridleway at all times and if it wanders off these, however briefly or otherwise, you would be breaking the law as you are allowing it to either trespass or contravene Access Land regulations, so the 5/8 metre retractable lead shouldn't really be used.

If you cross 'The Bog' you'll be on Access Land, so short lead only.

How this is supposed to be policed is beyond my imagination, I guess they just hope people will act responsibly (and within the law) with their dogs.

In summary, if in doubt use a 'short lead' throughout the walk.

I'd finally add that not all Access Land is available to walkers with dogs. The Act has provisions for landowners to seek permission to restrict or indeed forbid access to dogs either permanently or on a partial or temporary basis.