Variation on a theme

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
Farcelt

Variation on a theme

Post by Farcelt » 24 Apr 2016, 14:06

Having completed the 3 Peaks three times this year all in the conventional counter-clockwise direction (twice starting at Horton & once from Ribblehead) I thought I would go for an alternative route yesterday by climbing each peak in ascending height order. Setting off from Horton station climbed Penyghent as part of a circular walk before heading clockwise for Ingleborough then continuing on to Whernside via Bruntscar covering 16.5 miles in the process of topping all three peaks. This left me with 10 miles to complete downhill off Whernside then following the conventional route as far as the Whitber Hiil path junction with the Pennine Way path which I took to bring me down at the rear of the Crown for a well earned pint before catching the train back to Leeds. Total mileage covered 26.6 miles in a time of 9hrs 40mins in mostly sunny weather albeit with a pretty strong northerly wind for most of the day. Lots of other walkers out including at least one charity group in each direction, encountered one young man in St George outfit on my way up Ingleborough and ran into him later at Ribblehead still in search of his dragon, it was St Georges day after all!

mac.hawk

Re: Variation on a theme

Post by mac.hawk » 08 May 2016, 23:10

I've often felt a 'long ridge' challenge from Horton to Ribblehead (or vice-versa) would be a good alternative to 'The Challenge'

Horton over Pen-y-Ghent to Plover Hill followed by Park/Simon Fell to Ingleborough summit. Descent of Ingleborough by Fell Lane and across the River Doe by the stepping stones at Beezley's then up Twistleton Scar End to Whernside summit and a finish at Ribblehead.

A mile or two longer than 'The Challenge' but well worth the effort.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 13 May 2016, 08:56

Having completed the route 15 times - 13 times from Horton and 2 times from Ribblehead (ALWAYS Anti-Clockwise), my intended variation this year is to do it Clockwise for the first time! Whether I start at Horton or Ribblehead remains to be seen.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 13 May 2016, 21:10

Having done both I have to say I personally found the route from Ribblehead harder than the one from Horton.

I found it a serious struggle up Whernside - in reflection I think it's because there's no respite flat section once you leave Bruntscar, it's all up, and now that it's even more 'stepped' I reckon I'd struggle even more!