Horton-Pen y Ghent-Ribblehead hike today

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
mac.hawk

Horton-Pen y Ghent-Ribblehead hike today

Post by mac.hawk » 03 Jul 2015, 20:10

Did an extended higgledy-piggledy hike form Horton Railway Station to Ribblehead Station with one or two things to note (click on the photo's to see them full frame).

1. On the ascent of PyG from Brackenbottom the second gate (the small one atop the stone step stile) is hanging on by a single hinge (not apparent in the photo).

2. The wall on the other side of the gate is in a state of near collapse (see photo).

I've emailed the 3 Peaks Ranger with this information (along with the photos) and asked him if he could let me know what sort of repair will be undertaken (step/ladder stiles seem to be out of fashion at the moment so we may end up with another ground level gate).

3. Took photo's of the Hi-Vis way indicators at the top of the PyG 'scrambley' bit (see Hi-Vis Paint on Pen y Ghent entry in the Forum for the photo)

4. As the weather has been quite dry lately I thought I'd give the Moss's a traverse and today it was a doddle (Bog?? What bog!!), hardly any detour needed whatsoever - however the current weather forecast is suggesting rain of biblical proportions overnight tonight so it seems I have been very fortunate.

There will be a July edition of 'The Guide' in the next day or two to reflect 1, 2 & 3 above.
Attachments
2.JPG
The Gate
2.JPG (158.51 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
3.JPG
The Wall
3.JPG (207.62 KiB) Viewed 4105 times

mac.hawk

Re: Horton-Pen y Ghent-Ribblehead hike today

Post by mac.hawk » 15 Sep 2015, 20:01

The 3 Peaks Ranger emailed me yesterday (14.09.2015) to advise me that the stile with gate atop will shortly be replaced by a 'pedestrian gate'.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 16 Sep 2015, 13:13

Cracking updates as ever Mac.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 15 Oct 2015, 22:24

The wall and gate were still in the same state of disrepair on my visit yesterday (14/10/2015). Not sure they'll last a 3 Peaks winter unless they get attention sooner rather than later!

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 16 Oct 2015, 13:12

Will wait and see - the pedestrian gate as advised previously sounds like a better option than the original.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 12 Feb 2016, 20:57

Another re-walk today (12 Feb 2016) see's little change. The wall still in near collapse condition. Apparently the onus is on the land owner to make the repair, I'm told he/she/they have been provided with the necessary hardware (by YDNPA) to replace it with a gate but it's an as/if/when they get the time issue. Perhaps the wall needs to collapse completely before something gets done?