Organising the challenge for a large group.

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
bearhair

Organising the challenge for a large group.

Post by bearhair » 15 Nov 2011, 14:10

Hi,

I'm after a little help. A colleague of mine is climbing Everest next Spring and I thought it would be good to show some support and raise some money for his charity. I proposed that a few of us from my office would complete the 3 peaks challenge at roughly the same time as his ascent to the summit. This has since grown legs and run off and now there may be a large number of people involved, possible upwards of 40-60. Are there any special organisational requirements that I need to be aware of or will it be fine to just turn up on the day and get going?

Any advice you can offer at this early stage would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan.

three peaks

Re: Organising the challenge for a large group.

Post by three peaks » 19 Nov 2011, 19:17

The route follow public rights of way, so yes you can just turn up and go.

However with such a large number of people I would say you have a duty of care, especially if this is a work thing, to make sure everyone is as safe as possible. Groups of this size should really have a support team to help count everyone out, meet at certain points en-route to pick up casualties and count everyone back into the pub at the end. If you are walking yourself its not really possible to do this.

The next thing to consider would be splitting into groups according to ability. Its not practical to keep that many people together so I would consider groups of up to 10 being more practical.

Another piece of advice is to collect deposits now. I have seen a lot of these groups come and go, and the numbers who actually turn up never meet the estimates. £50 dontation now will force folk to think if they really do want to do it and you can start to plan with realistic numbers.

A group of this size will also have wear and tear. Please consider joining, getting the merchandise of The Friends of the Three Peaks.

Other than that, the normal advice for completing the walk applies....good luck....