How to find an available guide for 3 peaks walk

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
cathya

How to find an available guide for 3 peaks walk

Post by cathya » 26 Mar 2014, 17:17

I am hoping to attempt 3 Peak Challenge this year with my son and possibly a few friends - however only thinking about it at the moment. My father was born in Settle so am very familiar with the area and have climbed each peak over the years.
The idea of being part of a big group does not appeal to me but I would be happy to pay for a guide and/or support at points during the walk to supply additional water.
I also do not want to pay to be part of a charity walk - preferring to organise my own charitable giving.
Anyway help as to where I could find a guide ?

three peaks

Re: How to find an available guide for 3 peaks walk

Post by three peaks » 27 Mar 2014, 14:41

I took my son caving last year as part of the OverGround-UnderGround festival with http://yorkshiredalesguides.co.uk/ I assume they could help

cathya

Post by cathya » 28 Mar 2014, 07:12

Thank you for your reply - appreciate this

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 29 Mar 2014, 19:34

Not really sure why you'd want a guide if you're already familiar with the area. A guide can cost anything from £30 to £100 per person depending on the size of the group (usually to a maximum of 12 participants).

It would appear your concerns are to avoid the crowds and the supply of fluids en-route.

The answer is really very simple........... arrange your 'Challenge' attempt to be on any weekend from the 26th of April to 29th September 2014 and start 'The Challenge' at Ribblehead taking the peaks in the following order - Whernside, Ingleborough, Pen y Ghent.

After descending Whernside you will be able to top up fluid at Philpin Snack Bar and after descending Ingleborough you'll be able to top up in Horton at the Pen Y Ghent cafe or the mobile shop just beyond the church.

So, if starting at 8 a.m you'll avoid all the crowds starting from Horton and get two fluid top up stops en-route.

Philpin Snack Bar opens at 9 am on Saturday & 11 am on Sunday, so I wouldn't start before 8 am on a Sunday attempt.

If you want a copy of the latest version of the most accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date guide available please email me at the usual address (mac.hawk@ntlworld.com).
Last edited by mac.hawk on 24 May 2014, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

cathya

Post by cathya » 31 Mar 2014, 12:16

You are right and am sure we will be able to find the route from the guide you mention

Yes would like to avoid "people" - am thinking of early September - do you think mid week be better ?

Thanks for advice re: start place

Will download the guide

Thanks so much

Cathy

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 31 Mar 2014, 20:46

I think September on a Saturday/Sunday from Ribblehead will suite you fine as the watering stops will still be open.

If you went mid-week it would indeed be quiet but you'd not have the snack bar at Philpin open to top up your fluid.

cathya

Post by cathya » 03 Apr 2014, 13:47

Thank you so much - and thanks also for great guide which I am enjoying. Just ordered my map and going to Giggs. on Sat so hope to do a bit of walking ( maybe in the rain ! )

Farcelt

Post by Farcelt » 15 Apr 2014, 21:02

Hi, if you need a guide for your 3 Peaks Challenge I would be happy to guide your party round if you undertake the walk on a Saturday or Sunday. I have completed the walk numerous times over the last 40 years starting from various points and in both directions including a solo completion at night so know the route well. I have enjoyed guiding several groups of friends and work colleagues on the walks and find that depending on the group size 10 - 12 hours is achievable by most people, the two most important things being determination and good luck in choosing a day with reasonable weather.
Anyway, let me know if you need any advice and by the way I would not require any payment at all.
Regards, Roger....

louisenawagstaffe

Post by louisenawagstaffe » 10 Jun 2014, 14:43

Farcelt/Roger,

Please could you contact me regarding guide availability?

Many thanks.

louisenawagstaffe

Post by louisenawagstaffe » 10 Jun 2014, 14:43

Farcelt/Roger,

Please could you contact me regarding guide availability?

Many thanks.