Knowing the right way to go

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
BalDrick

Knowing the right way to go

Post by BalDrick » 22 Mar 2011, 15:06

Hi, I'm doing this walk with my brother on Easter Saturday. I've already bought the OS map from Amazon but from Googling around it seems I might need more? Goforawalk.com seems to want me to pay £14.95 so I can download a route of theirs but from all the pictures I've seen, it would appear there are generally quite a few other walkers out and about.

Should I buy any map from the cafe (actually not sure I want to wait until after 8am to get started)? Suppose the alternative is to makr out the route onto my OS map - how easy is that going to be?

Also any advice on starting time? Clocks will have changed by then of course so should be light till half 7 at least, though would rather be in the pub by then!

All help gratefully received - thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Knowing the right way to go

Post by admin » 22 Mar 2011, 22:16

There will be quite a few folk around on Easter Saturday, but you can't set off on the assumption you can just follow others. The weather can close in an any time, and you can suddenly find yourself in some remote spots.
If you are not experienced walkers and map readers then get yourself a three peaks book and familiarise yourself with the route before the day. That way you can concentrate on the walk, and not waste time route finding.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Novices-Guide-C ... 012&sr=8-2

Try to start as early rather than late. What time that is, obviously depends on you.

BalDrick

Post by BalDrick » 23 Mar 2011, 07:35

Thanks admin, have ordered that book.

robert67

Post by robert67 » 20 Apr 2011, 04:13

Hi,

I walked this last summer with my kids. A good place to start is in horton- in- ribblesdale, sign in or leave your details at the cafe for safety. our route was pen-y- ghent, whernside and ingleborough then back to the start.

I am up there Easter sunday too ,so good luck and lets hope the weather stays fine.

PS the go4awalk route was very good and easy to follow.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 19 May 2011, 20:12

Starting early is definately best, I wouldn't leave it until the day of departure to buy a map - get the OL2 or Harvey's and study it before you go. There's lots of free guides on the internet. If your going in the summer I'd start at Ribblehead. After Whernside there's a farm cafe at Philpin Farm and after Ingleborough there's facilities at Horton so you don't have to carry a load of food and (in particular ) drink. It's also been my experience that once you leave Horton you might meet the odd group descendng Penny but generally you'll have the rest of the route to yourself, bliss!!

BalDrick

Post by BalDrick » 20 May 2011, 08:33

Thanks to everyone for the help - really enjoyed the walk. As it happened, didn't have to look at the book or the map all the way round, there were plenty of people doing the walk.

11 hours - I was quite pleased with that.