Litter

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
mac.hawk

Litter

Post by mac.hawk » 07 Oct 2013, 19:56

The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority has a policy of not providing litter bins and encourages visitors to take their litter home with them, this includes items that people might think are quickly biodegradable such as banana skins, apple cores, orange peel etc. However, these items take much longer to decompose on the exposed hill tops than they would in a household environment - the John Muir Trust (who care for some of the UK's landscapes, including Ben Nevis) estimate a banana peel left on Ben Nevis can take up to 2 years to decompose (source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... s-scotland), so please take all your litter home with you.

The Moth

Re: Litter

Post by The Moth » 24 Jun 2014, 14:37

Totally agree with you. The state of the summit of Penyghent on Sunday 22/6/14 was nothing short of disgraceful. I have never seen anything like it in 16 visits. In fact it was probably the worst litter I have EVER seen - and have been on Helvellyn, Scafell Pike, Great Gable etc on Bank Holidays in the past.

Do these charities realise the mess that their competitors leave? - I think not. Very sad to see such a great summit reduced to what it was. Everyone there was complaining about it. Had no room in my bag to take it away - although it would have needed at least 3 good quality black bags to sort out.

The litter on the route in general was very poor indeed.

bonegasser

Post by bonegasser » 16 Jul 2014, 09:20

For most of the year I think the Park Authority are quite correct in not providing bins for the reasons they state. However, on occasions such as this coming weekend, when hundreds of people are on the hills, their position might merit a rethink. Alternatives would include asking each charity to equip someone with a large bin bag on each peak to clear up at the end of the day or even asking volunteers to clean the route the next day. I think these charity events are superb, not least because they get the otherwise sedentary city dweller into our outstanding countryside giving them something to remember with pride. Unfortunately, the litter comes too.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 16 Jul 2014, 19:13

I was told by the 3 Peaks area park ranger some time ago that some of the 'big' charity events do contribute funds to the Three Peaks Project (see also http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/lookin ... aksproject), how much (if any) is used as a 'clean up' operation I have no idea. It would not seem unreasonable that the charities participating this Saturday (19th) should between them have some sort of policy in place to remove the litter left behind.

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 15 Jun 2015, 14:02

did the full circuit again yesterday - and whilst the litter was nowhere near as bad as it was in 2014, there was still some poor areas. The summits of both Penyghent and Whernside had a fair bit (Penyghent was worse as it always seems to be), and the bins in Horton were all overflowing. I appreciate this was probably after the hordes had been out on a Saturday in June but it still looked terrible as well as being a bad advert for the village.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 03 Jul 2015, 22:27

First Friday in July 2015 and the PyG summit was looking pretty good (and litter free) in some wonderful sunshine.
Attachments
4.JPG
Looking towards Darnbrook and Fountains Fells
4.JPG (172.75 KiB) Viewed 3962 times