Second Challenge and it still hurts!

The forum to discuss the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge
Jogler1372

Second Challenge and it still hurts!

Post by Jogler1372 » 22 Sep 2013, 10:46

I have just completed the 3 Peaks for the second time, much improved this time around.

The route has had alot of work done i.e. new paths better sign posting etc however you should be aware in order to complete you need to train beforehand, the fitter you are the better time you'll achieve I managed 8hrs 24mins.

I did the challenge on my own however there are lots of people along the route to talk to and share stories. Make sure you equip yourselfwith the right clothing boots equipment etc theres loads of information on the internet.

I can't say the challenge is pleasurable but it will certainly test your strengths and weaknesses and push you to the limit!, each time I said not again but it is something that draws you back to do it (insanity..lol) I'm recovering the day after and my body especially my legs are so stiff and sore it looks like a very lazy Sunday for me,

Good luck everyone on your challenge!

mac.hawk

Re: Second Challenge and it still hurts!

Post by mac.hawk » 30 Sep 2013, 22:54

I'd just offer the opinion that it shouldn't just be about the time. Yes I've all but burst a blood vessel to get round in under 8 hours and felt well chuffed with that, but whilst enjoying the sense of achievement that brings (and it certainly won't come again - the under 8 hours that is!) it hasn't negated the pleasure I've had in completing the challenge in times a little, and indeed much, longer.

It's a challenge that is achievable by most healthy people and whatever the completion time is, it's a very relative thing that relates to your own personal circumstances.

For someone who's working life is based at a desk all day and is attempting it as a one off for XYZ charity because his/her mates much loved auntie died of whatever disease and completes in 11.48 it's as much of an achievement, in my opinion, as the fell runner charging round in under 6 hours.

Unlike Jogler1372, nowadays, after sooooooooooo many visits up each hill individually (and from every direction) I do find the Three Peaks Challenge pleasurable as I've learned to enjoy it, and the landscape, and not worry too much about the time

Whichever way you undertake the challenge, enjoy the day!

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 24 Jun 2014, 21:14

Agree that timing is irrelevant - even if you take longer than 12 hours you haven't failed. As long as you do the 3 of them in a single walk you have every right to be proud of yourself. In 1996 it took me 7 hours. I've never come close to that again but I still LOVE the walk. On Sunday 22/6/14 - my 14th time it took me 10 hours and 18 minutes but I dont think I've enjoyed it more. It's what you make of it - it is and always will be one of the very best walking days in this country.

But it always hurts!!

Farcelt

Post by Farcelt » 25 Jun 2014, 00:29

Totally agree with all of the previous posts regarding starting points and times recorded for the walk. Since first completing the 3 peaks over 40 years ago aged 14 I have lost count of the number of successful circuits (and a few aborted attempts for various reasons) The main thing is to have a go and enjoy it in whatever direction and from whichever starting point. Take the point about the advantages of the "Traditional" route especially for first timers who want to record their achievement by joining the 3 Peaks club or are not confident enough to go off piste so to speak. Personally I have had some great circuits, sub seven hours back in the day, just inside the the 12 hours, on my own, with groups of friends and even a solo night circuit from Horton one moonlit night a couple of years back. Some I have enjoyed more than others, felt fitter on the day, had good weather or terrible weather, finished strongly or completely knackered!

The point is - The 3 Peaks are what they are, it is up to you to take from the walk what you will, give it your best shot and feel the better for it. (Maybe a couple of days later!)

The Moth

Post by The Moth » 26 Jun 2014, 14:05

Sitting at work now, 4 days after last doing it I feel fine and cant wait to do it all again. Was very sore on Monday but it got better and am ready to do it all again soon!
Last edited by The Moth on 30 Jun 2014, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

Manny

Post by Manny » 29 Jun 2014, 17:19

mac.hawk wrote:I'd just offer the opinion that it shouldn't just be about the time. Yes I've all but burst a blood vessel to get round in under 8 hours and felt well chuffed with that, but whilst enjoying the sense of achievement that brings (and it certainly won't come again - the under 8 hours that is!) it hasn't negated the pleasure I've had in completing the challenge in times a little, and indeed much, longer.

It's a challenge that is achievable by most healthy people and whatever the completion time is, it's a very relative thing that relates to your own personal circumstances.

For someone who's working life is based at a desk all day and is attempting it as a one off for XYZ charity because his/her mates much loved auntie died of whatever disease and completes in 11.48 it's as much of an achievement, in my opinion, as the fell runner charging round in under 6 hours.

Unlike Jogler1372, nowadays, after sooooooooooo many visits up each hill individually (and from every direction) I do find the Three Peaks Challenge pleasurable as I've learned to enjoy it, and the landscape, and not worry too much about the time

Whichever way you undertake the challenge, enjoy the day!
very well put