3 Peaks over 2 days in January

Where to stay
Jojo1177

3 Peaks over 2 days in January

Post by Jojo1177 » 09 Dec 2018, 10:33

Hello, new to the forum and looking for some general info and accommodation suggestions please. I'm planning a relatively leisurely 3-Peaks-over-2-days walk at the beginning of Jan. Won't even attempt it in 12 hours at this time of year given the light, it being my first attempt and walking solo.

I will be travelling by car from the Lakes and wondered where would be best to park as this will involve leaving my car overnight. Would you suggest clockwise or anti? I'd rather do 1 peak day one 2 peaks day two. Given that factor, where is best for an overnight between the two walks? If, as a contingency plan I need to abandon after peak 2 (and stay 2 nights walking 3 days) is there somewhere to stay after peak 2 before the third peak? Any advice greatfully received.
JR

three peaks

Re: 3 Peaks over 2 days in January

Post by three peaks » 09 Dec 2018, 23:23

This is a 3 day, 2 night stop-over walk. You can just pick which stopover you want to miss and keep walking if you prefer.
That time of year, just make sure you are well kitted out if you are walking alone.

Day 1
Park in Ingleton. Walk past Crina Bottom, over Ingleborough and down into Horton-in-Ribblesdale. There is plenty of accommodation in both villages.

Day 2
Walk over Pen-y-ghent and stop in Chapel-le-Dale. There are a few places to stay, all easy to get to within the day.

Day 3
Walk up Whernside, then follow the ridge down towards Ingleton finishing by walking down the Waterfalls Trial.

mac.hawk

Post by mac.hawk » 12 Dec 2018, 20:37

Personally I'd just book an overnight stay for your first night in either Ingleton or Settle where you have good options to eat out on Day 1 evening.

On Day 1 park up in the YDNPA car park in Horton-in-Ribbledale and follow the 3 Peaks route up the 'nose' of Pen-y-ghent, similarly descend along the 3 Peaks route to Horton Scar Lane (this is a wide track (bridleway) that heads SW at Tarn Bar) which will take you back into Horton. This route's approx 6 miles in length. You could extend this a little by continuing along the 3 Peaks route to where it joins the Pennine Way at Jackdaw Hill (add a mile) or to High Birkwith and take the Ribble & Pennine Ways back into Horton (add 3.5 miles to the initial 6 miles).

On Day two park up at Ribblehead and follow the 3 Peaks route over Whernside and up to the summit of Ingleborough. From the summit go back down Swine Tail and take a route across Simon Fell or Souther Scales Fell to just beyond the trig point on Park Fell and descend to Colt Park and take the road back to Ribblehead. This route is approx 14 miles.

If you need to 'jump ship', at the end of Philpin Lane take the Low Sleights Road back to Ribblehead (or the bridleway heading north before you reach Philpin Farm).

If you have to run into Day 3 park up at Ribblehead and climb Park Fell first to reach Ingleborough summit, descend the 'staircase' and return to Ribblehead via the Low Sleights Road (or the bridleway heading north after you pass Philpin Farm).

It you'd like more specific details just email me at the usual address (mac.hawk@ntlworld.com).

Jojo1177

Post by Jojo1177 » 13 Dec 2018, 15:58

Thanks both so much for your replies, this is all really helpful information and much appreciated.

@three peaks; I've full winter kit yes, would expect conditions to be similar to what I'm used to hiking year-round in the Lakes. Having said that, if the MWIS forecast is particularly rough I won't be putting myself (& potentially others) in danger and will stick to low level alternatives.

Many thanks again and Mac I may take you up on that offer to email for further information.